Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Pittsburgh-A Surprise!

When I started writing my blog about my travels to Europe this summer I mentioned that my daughter, Misty, set up this Blog for me and I just love it! I also mentioned that Misty, her husband Thomas and our grandchildren (their children :)) were moving to Pittsburgh this summer at the same time we were in Europe. They moved from Spokane Washington to Pittsburgh Pennsylvania. Now I won't lie I was sad that they were moving so far away. But I knew that they were moving to a very nice state and the Eastern States are beautiful and full of history and old buildings and leaves that turn amazing colors in the fall... I also know the grandchildren would miss their friends cause I have had experience in that situation. But they are amazing and positive kids and Misty and Thomas are amazing parents and we knew that they would be making friends in no time!

So when we came home to Oregon we just couldn't run up to Spokane and tell them about our trip. It felt so strange to think that they were across the United States. We did Skype with them. We were able to see them and talk to them and it was so very nice. Then Misty was able to take her laptop around their new house to show us all the rooms. That was so fun getting a tour! Our son Travis did that for us in Europe and Asia. He would turn his laptop towards the scenery and we were able to see what he was seeing! Then our granddaughter Elyssa, used Facetime with me and we were able to make funny faces together. It was amazingly fun. We send text messages back and forth with the family and Facebook is a huge help for us to keep in touch. But you cannot see the process of life that goes on in their house and you cannot hug them when you want to (which by the way is all the time).

So when Thomas called and told me he wanted to fly me out to Pittsburgh as a surprise for my daughter, I was surprised! I wasn't sure if it would be a good idea, I know they are busy and they are in transition and they have homework, but Thomas really said everything was good, so I talked with Bud and he said I should go, so I called Thomas back and I was going! WOW! I am going to Pittsburgh, I will see them all, I will get to hug them and I will see the house and the area in which they live!!!

Now was the hard part, not saying a word to ANYONE! At first I thought, I can do this piece of cake. Not so much! First of all I felt guilty for not telling our son Travis. But we didn't want to tell a soul so we didn't! I spent 2 days with my family over the weekend and that was hard not to say anything!

So finally I flew out of Portland on 9/10! I put a decoy message on Facebook just in case Misty had any suspicions. And then Bud took me to the airport and there began "Here we go Again". Met some very nice people and read my book. Uneventful and that is the best!

Thomas picked me up at the airport and then he told me how everything fell into place. He was able to get a new bed for Elyssa so he put her bed into the guest room for me. When we reached their house he had me stand in front of the lamp post outside there house and he texted that picture to Misty in her bedroom. He said to watch the window and see what Misty would do. She came to the window, pulled back the blind and we could read her lips "OMG" and she ran downstairs and opened the door and I got the best hug!!!! And Elyssa was there to and I got another bestest hug and then I got a tour of the house, gave Thomas the bestest hug!!!

In the morning we surprised Jackson and McKenna with my visit and got and gave hugs again. It has been very special for me to be with them as they live out there daily lives here. Misty is so extremely organized, no surprise there! The house is so very beautiful and she is decorating it with lots of love and lots of heart. Thank you so much Thomas for bringing me out here!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment