Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Going East to Annapolis!



This morning after Jackson went to school, we took Misty to breakfast at EatNPark! They had a buffet breakfast for 5.99 each so we ate that, yummy! We then took Misty back home we said our goodbyes and hugged to last a few months and walked to the car kind of quickly, be distracted by the neighborhood, putting one foot in front of the other just to not let tears start flowing, cause if they start, they don't stop! Then we hop in the car and head east to find  another story or/and an adventure on our journey of life! Cause this is a big part of our life! It was hard to leave, we had such a wonderful visit!!

We got to Annapolis at 4:15pm and headed directly to the historic district! We did not know where we were going so I was driving and had to pull over and put the State Capitol in the iPhone gps so we could get directions to the historic district. WeI parked and there was a woman asking if we needed directions and I said yes the crypt of John Paul Jones. She kept saying she was in this area trying to collect money on behalf of her church to help the homeless. She asked for $8.00, Bud gave her $2.00. It was 3:45pm by this time and we didn't know how far the United States a Naval Academy Chapel was. The chapel holds the crypt of John Paul Jones. I assumed it closed at 5pm and we all know what happens when I assume! Bud had to use the rest room very badly and we had to go through security to get inside the Nacal Academy! I asked for directions and the security man said they were near the Chapel! We start walking fast and Bud can't walk fast because, well you know cause he has to go!!we get close to the chapel and I ask another guy who was running where the restroom was, he pointed to a building and very politely told us where to go in the building, Bud made it! So we walked to the beautiful domed Chapel and tried to get inside but the one entrance said no public and the main entrance the doors were locked. I was sad by then and the sign said it closed at 1600 and when I did the math in my head, I came up with closing time of 6pm! I kept going around the building trying to get in and saw a door where one man was in the doorway facing out talking with another man that looked like he was leaving. Luckily they both looked up and the one in the doorway asked if I needed some help and I said yes, I was looking for the crypt of John Paul Zjones. He said it closed at 4pm and I of course opened my mouth and said I thought it closed at 5pm and it wasn't 5 yet. He said it closed at 4pm. I had to of looked sad because he asked me if we were going to be in town tomorrow and I looked down sadly and said no. He thought for a second and said to come in!!! Yes!!! He gave us a private Tour and told us about John Paul Jones and took us into the crypt and took us up the elevator to the inside of the Chapel!!! Thank you Dave!!! He had visited Portland before and loves Powell Bookstore!!
On our way from Pittsburgh to Annapolis!
Eating the yummy blueberry bagels that Misty sent with us!?She gave us a basket of snacks snd fun stuff with us and schist card to Cracker Barrel!!
This is the basket of goodies! Thank you Misty!!!

The United States Naval Academy
The Crypt of John Paul Jones
The names surrounding his tomb are the names of the ships he was on!
The bust of John Paul Jones made when he was alive

Then Dave our private tour guide after hours took us up to see The Chapel




These are the huge doors that normally stand open...during the open hours! These are the doors I tried to open and they weigh a ton! A woman designed them!!!
From this one on down are pictures of other buildings on the Naval Academy
This is an example of what a midshipmans room looks like
People that graduated from here

It was such a great experience to spend some time here at the U.S. Naval Academy 

No comments:

Post a Comment