Thursday, April 30, 2015

Richmond Virginia-The Capitol Building

Bud and I drove into Richmond, Virginia on the way to Jamestown, Virginia I didn’t realize how many Civil War sites there are in the area! I don’t believe I have looked at a map of Battlefields of the Civil War. If I had, I would have figured out that this was the hot seat of the Civil War at the end. When I think of the South, I think of Alabama or Mississippi or Louisiana. But no, the South was Virginia!!! But it makes sense, Tobacco! Money! Power! That about sums it up!

We went to the State Capitol Building which was designed by Thomas Jefferson. It was one of the reasons President Abraham Lincoln had the Union Soldiers not burn it down. He had great respect for Jefferson and George Washington!

In one of the rooms of the State Capitol Building.Robert E Lee accepted the position of Commander of the Confederate Army. Jefferson Davis, President of the Confederacy, lived a few blocks from the State Capitol, in the White House of the Confederacy!

No comments:

Post a Comment