Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Dinner on December 16, Arundel, England

When we checked into our hotel, Norfolk Arms Hotel, we found out that our hotel had a restaurant. Now this hotel isn't fancy, at least that is what I thought! It is nice and it is old but it is British! That should have signaled my brain to be alert to check out the restaurant and not assume that jeans are ok. But I am a little tired of thinking because that is all I do and I let me guard down.

We went over to the main part of the hotel, we are in the courtyard part of the hotel, the cheap seats, and asked where the restaurant was. The hotel clerk said to go into the bar and they would help us there. So in we went. Mind you, it is 7pm, the earliest the restaurant opens. There us an elderly couple in there already. I know what you are thinking and yes they are elderlier than us. He is at least 80 and she is his age. Not that that matters because there conversation was lively and very British. Well, a lady in her 60's came in and told us to wait there and she would be back to take our order. So she did. We told her what we wanted, a dish that we have wanted since we arrived in Ireland on November 22! Can you guess? It is a Thanksgiving or Christmas Dinner. It was Turkey, mashed potatoes and stuffing and gravy, and cauliflower, broccoli and carrots!!!! For 9.95 pounds!!! So we sat there for about 10 minutes and the she came in and took the older couple back and then we waited another 10 minutes and she came and took us to the restaurant and sat us in a little alcove, very tiny space. Now if the restaurant was busy and all the tables were taken ok, seat us in the tiny space. But the older couple and us were the only people in there. I started laughing just because sometimes I feel like Alice in Wonderland and I am looking through the looking glass and I see no logic to what is happening to me! It has happened a  lot in England. I now understand the book/movie so much more!
After about 15 minutes she brought out our food!!! And it was beautiful and it tasted so so so so so so very delicious!!
As you can see the restaurant was very nice and very pretty! British just dress for dinner, they just do. So I believe we were tucked in that small alcove so we wouldn't be seen? But no one else came in while we were there. Though it was so delicious we planned on going there for dinner on the 17th but they were not serving dinner because they had a function going on :(

But we went along the street and looked at menu's, found out we missed trivia night at the White Swan, and decided on a pizza restaurant. But we both had the lasagna and it was so yummy!!! Mine looked just like Bud's and we ate every morsel!!!!!


After dinner Bud was going to walk up to the little corner store for a snack but I had already chosen my snack off the menu! Doughballs in cinnamon and vanilla icing to dip them in!

Bud bought himself some peanut M&M's and bottled water for both of us. We then turned on our favorite British Channel called Challenge, lots of trivia game shows!!!!



1 comment:

  1. Nobody puts baby in the corner. There! A dance reference and a dining reference all in one! :)

    ReplyDelete