Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Jerusalem-First Day-Mount of Beatitudes

Picture this: we have seen 3 churches so far and the Sea of Galilee. We are standing on a hill, Mount Biatitudes. Our guide tells us this is the spot where Jesus said the Sermon on the Mount and gave the Beatitudes. The Beatitudes consist of 2 phrases, the condition and the result. They focus on love and humility rather than force and exaction of the Old Testament. These are basically the teachings of Jesus on mercy, spirituality, and compassion. The word Beatitude comes from the Latin adjective beatus which means happy, fortunate and blissful. The eight beatitudes are as follows:

Blessed, Happy, Fortunate are:

the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of Heaven 5:3
those who morn: for they will be comforted 5:4
the meek: for they shall inherit the earth 5:5
they who hunger and thirst for righteousness: for they shall be satisfied 5:6
the merciful: for they shall be shown mercy 5:7
the pure in heart: for they shall see God 5:8
the peacemakers: for they shall be called children of God 5:9
those who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness: for theirs is the kingdom of Heaven 5:10

To stand there and listen to Iris, a singer for the Pacific Princess, read these aloud right there where Jesus said those same words was undeniably, overwhelmingly, wonderful! I wish it was immediately life changing but my humanness gets in the way of Jesus words! I am still processing all that I heard and all that I saw and all that I know from my walk with Jesus from 11 years old till almost 60. As Paul said in Romans 7:15: For what I wish, this I do not practice; but what I hate is what I do. (I do the things I don't want to do, but I don't do the things I should do. I am a work in progress...







No comments:

Post a Comment